Text-Only Version
aboutus   legalnews   ourteam   recruitment   legallinks   downloads   photogallery   contact
commercial / litigation commercial property compensation claims immigration - FAQs police / business crime proceeds of crime residential property wills & probate wrongful arrest & false imprisonment employment law licensing department gangmaster licence
Click for a comprehensive list of services

Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No. 68520

Au Pairs / EAA & Swiss Nationals / UK Residence Permits

Au pairs

An au pair placement is an arrangement where a single person between 17 and 27 years of age comes to the UK to learn English and:

  • lives for up to two years as a member of an English-speaking family, with appropriate opportunities for study, and
  • helps in the home for up to five hours a day with at least two full days off a week, in return for a reasonable allowance and their own room.

EEA & Swiss nationals

European Community law gives EEA nationals a right to live and work in the UK. This is called a right of residence.

You have the right of residence in the UK if you are an EEA national and:

  • you are working in the UK (see * below), or
  • you do not work in the UK but you have enough money to support yourself for the whole period of your stay without needing any help from public funds.

* Nationals who need to register under the Worker Registration Scheme must complete 12 months of employment before getting a residence permit.

UK residence permits

A residence permit is an authorisation, issued by a member state of the European Union, which allows nationals of other countries to stay legally in its territory. Member states have agreed that all such authorisations should be in a common format.

In the UK, residence permits are issued by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND).